Sunday, March 15, 2009

famiglia

My family had planned on taking a trip this past weekend, but with a drastic change in temps...
from the 80's to 40's, we had a change of heart.
I'll take a sundress over a sweater any day! Even with daily alterations to what had been on the
agenda, it somehow came together without any whining or whimpering.
Today, we had another change in plans
due to rain. My son wanted to make homemade buttermilk biscuits. Well...you don't have to twist my arm to bake in the kitchen. We ate a big breakfast, and got busy doing some
spring cleaning. We were like a fine tuned machine...working together, helping one another.
For whatever reason, we pretended to speak with italian accents. Rolling r's and using
emphatic hand gestures. My son heard all day how crrrrrrazy he was..."such a crrrrazy boy-a" We were absolutely cracking each other up!
I found an opportunity to play a little joke on the unsuspecting children. While removing
the feather trim from some lampshades (eww, I know...I used to think it looked pretty),
I thought....hmmmm, this will be good. The copper and black colored feathers resembled a
crumpled up hawk that had met a violent end. I noticed the house was rather hushed, so my evil
plan took shape. I quietly closed the door, then pulled up the blinds...opened a window, and
wildly bumped and banged around the room while making a few convincing squeals. One of my
daughters (apparently the only child of mine that felt concern) came running. "WHAT WAS THAT??!!" she yelled while flinging open the door. I was waiting panting with untamed hair.
"Oh my gosh...this bird flew in....and....and....AND..." then she spotted the feathers.
"OHHHH NOOOOO!!!! The poooor birdy!!!!" then just as quick realized what it was, and
what a roaring laugh we had (after shoving me I might add). She then ran to tell the others to come see what was in my room, and she gave them the same story!
Strange how a rainy day of cleaning can turn into a sweet bonding experience. The hugs were full of extra squeeze tonight.

2 comments:

  1. Love this! You evil feather flinging woman. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEAH FOR YOU!! I am so happy to see you have a blog..loved that story..made me giggle!

    ReplyDelete