Thursday, April 2, 2009

Looking for the sweet things

April brings with it such delightful things. Such as watching the little eggs of our nesting
bluebird hatch. The 5 eggs that had resembled blue peanut m&m's, are now tiny chirping fluffballs. They wait quietly while their mother ventures off for the next meal. All the while, the
daddy bluebird keeps close watch over his young. It is a sweet and tender sight to behold.
Only two weeks from the time they hatch to when they will be ready to fly away. I think to myself..."Poor little mama....too short of a time to spend with your babies."
Then, as I hear my own offspring begin to argue in the background....it brings a smile to my face as I think of a funny quote..."God gives us children, so death doesn't come as such a disappointment." Of course that's not what I feel. However...replace the word "children" with
"a spouse".....................(just kidding...)
I relish the cool breezes...the serene rustling sound as it blows through the fresh peridot colored leaves. Closing my eyes to take in a long breath, the air seems to reach more deeply into my lungs, and I feel a sense of peace.
The scent of gardenia and roses, brings fond childhood memories of family dinners on the patio.
Wonderful platters of passed down recipes. Strange how thoughts of fried chicken (proper pan-fried buttermilk chicken...thank you very much) and chow chow can evoke strong emotions.
I will enjoy the spring, and do my best to focus on the simple pleasures that surround me.

1 comment: