Thursday, February 26, 2009

Lent...'tis the season

40 days doesn't seem like a very long time. There are plenty of things that can go without
my attention for 40 days. Weeding, ironing, cleaning the carpets, washing the windows,
even dusting....wouldn't miss doing any of those things. The thing is, giving up those chores
(as if I do them anyway) isn't a sacrifice. I had to think of something that would be difficult to stick with, and that would also honor my family and God by giving it up. Hmmm....what should it be?? Can't give up sweets....tried the Atkins diet years ago, and I had severe sugar withdrawal
headaches. May-jah headaches, which put me in the kind of mood that wouldn't honor anyone.
Besides, my sweet tea is a family favorite....it would be sorely missed.
After much contemplating...they choice was made. Let me tell ya...it'a biggie for me.
No computer until my children are in bed. Notta. I can waste time like no one when it comes to
getting online. Checking email, seeing what's going on in the world on CNN, gossip
websites, other blogs, recipes, garden websites...before I know it...2-3 hours have passed.
Which wouldn't seem so bad if my house were clean, laundry folded, dinner made, etc.
I can do this! I honestly don't miss the computer when we travel, or even when we are busy
as a family, so how bad can it be. Well....here I am, one day in....and it is BAD! What was I thinking?? This thing is like a magnet...a seductress...beckoning me to come closer....after all....
no one will know....the kids are at school....the hubby at work. A little alteration to the plan
wouldn't hurt...just two (or three) 5 minute check-ins during the day. When the kids get home, no more until they are tucked in. Much more reasonable, right? I have to believe God is merciful...He has certainly shown that over my lifetime. This was part of my 5 minutes...time
is up. Just 39 days to go....be strong!

2 comments:

  1. Be brave, woman! Be brave.

    To be honest, I'm most impressed. I couldn't do it.

    Looking forward to reading the rest of the blogs on your lent journey. You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a good woman. I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete